Preparations For Usage
The FBS-railML-2 interfaces for import and export can each be licensed in addition to the FBS standard scope of supply. To do so, please contact our Dresden office. Before buying one of the FBS-railML2 interfaces it should be considered, that it may be necessary to deliver the interface description (Import / Export, both in German) and some test data to the software distributor of the other programmes taking part in the data exchange in advance. Of course we support our customers in a preconversion of user-specific test data and in the explanation of the interface content.
Please note that using the railML standard does not automatically mean that two programmes can always exchange data without problems. Especially the amount of data to be exchanged cannot be determined by the railML standard alone. If FBS delivers more data than the reading programme expects, it just has to be "skipped over" - which should be unproblematic. It can also happen though, that the reading programme expects certain data, that is not existent in FBS in the way needed. In that case, the needed data has to be created on import (meaning it has to be calculated or derived from other data). In this respect it can be necessary for the reveiving party to implement a special interface for the import of FBS-railML-files.
Please also consider our advice about usability and limitations of the RailML versions (see below)
When the order for an interface reaches us, an online license update will be provided to your license plug. To activate the license and install the interface follow these steps:
- In the FBS starting window, click on "Service and trouble shooting" → "Check for new license upgrades…".
- After a successful activation please go to "Service and trouble shooting" → "Check for updates…". The purchased FBS-railML2-interface will be shown as installable. Please note that administrator rights are needed for one time to install. After the download and (re-)start of iPLAN the interface can be uses immediately. Depending on which interface was bought and installed it can started from iPLAN via the menu "File" → "Import Network" → "RailML ® 2" or respectively "File" → "Export Network" → "RailML ® 2".
If the license is already activated on your license plug, step 1 can be skipped and the interface can immediately be installed as described in step 2.
The FBS-railML interface is in constant development. New versions with smaller changes and fixes are therefore provided in short and irregular intervals. To avoid incompatibilities and for better support management, these undocumented beta versions are only provided to remove errors and are part of the maintenance contract. Regular updates are usually published annually. These regular updates are automatically provided on a flash drive together with all other FBS modules sent to your address based on our latest information. It is not necessary to order them seperately.
Between these regular updates, a special update server (technical information below) will provide interim versions with fixes and programme expansions. Downloading and installing these versions is only possible via the FBS starting window (Service and trouble shooting → Check for updates…) - there is no distribution with E-Mails or flash drives.
Updates of the programme system are part of the maintenance support of iRFP and are delivered exclusively to customers with a valid maintenance contract. The maintenance contract can be concluded up to two month after purchasing the FBS license (see §9.5 of the General Terms and Conditions). Buying FBS updates separately is not possible.
Our office in Dresden is available for questions or suggestions concerning FBS functions.
The FBS update function allows calling up and installing available updates independently from the currently installed FBS version. The updates are released on a server by iRFP and are transmitted encrypted to the local computer. Conditions for the usage of that function are:
- The computer has a functional connection to the internet.
- The computer is linked with an FBS license plug and the license is authorized to acquire new updates.
The update can be started and controlled in the FBS starting window:
- First the local FBS installation is analysed and the server is checked for available updates. This process is initiated by clicking Service and troube shooting → Check for updates… The FBS installation analyses those files of the FBS components that are in the programme directory (where "FBS.exe" is located) and that are part of the license registered for the license plug.
- After that a new window is opened, that shows a summary of the installed FBS components, their versions and potential updates. By selecting an entry in the list of programme components, detailed information about that component's update can be accessed. The components for which new updates where found on the server are automatically selected (checkmark to the very left). This selection can be changed by the user. Entries written in gray indicate programme components where no newer versions are available.
- The actual installation is started by clicking the button Install updates. All marked components (checkmark to very left) will be downloaded and then installed. In the process backups for the files to be overwritten will be created with the file ending .bak. After that the new files will be written in the installation directory and the backups will be moved to the recycle bin.
- Should an error occur during the update process, the whole update will be reverted i.e., all selected components will be put back in the previous state.
- If wanted, the backups can be kept after the update. In that case Delete backup copies after installation (into trashcan) must be unchecked.
- In some cases, updating one component also requires the update of other components. In that event the programme notifies the user about the dependency and demands the user to check the dependent components for updates as well.
- An update can contain programme files as well as data files. While a programme file usually replaces the previous version completely, it may be sensible to manually backup current data files before the update in order to synchronise manual changes of those files with the new file after the update (e.g., locally adjusted station database files). Which files are included in an update can be found in the detailed description.
- When FBS is calling updates, the iRFP server records which FBS license (-number) updated which FBS component at which time.