10071: Is it possible to start FBS without installing it or to copy it to the hard drive?
It is possible to use FBS without installation. However, some correlations have to be considered:
- Please ensure that you copy all files from the FBS directory of the CD (\ FBSRun) to one and the same directory on the hard drive. For Windows 7, please also refer to this document (German PDF, 226 kB).
- Before using FBS on a computer for the first time, the driver for the FBS license plug-in is not yet installed. It is usually installed when you install FBS, but at the very latest when you start FBS.exe for the first time. Therefore, if you do not install FBS, you must always first start the FBS.exe (FBS Startup) programme and you must have administrator rights. Once the driver is installed (license number and name are displayed), no administrator privilege is required any more.
- The file endings used by FBS (*.fpl, *.ntz, etc.) are usually registered with Windows when installing FBS so that a double-click on one of these files opens the file with the corresponding FBS programme. If you do not install FBS, this functionality is missing first. However, you can manually from the FBS-start-window (FBS.exe) by clicking on Installation and maintenance, then choosing configuration settings. Navigate to the tab FBS file types and click "Register all FBS file types with default settings". It is also possible to register each file type individually via right-click on the respective file type.
- Potential start menu entries or links to FBS have to be created manually.
- On a CD, all files automatically and inevitably have a write-protect. For some files that are supplied with FBS, this write protection is a hindrance since these files may have to be changed by FBS. This applies to the FBS.ini file (see article #10072) in any case, but also to the included operating directories (*.bsv), wagon directories (*.wgv), engine directory (*.tfz), generic and train number directories (*.znv) or other sample files. If necessary, remove the write protection of these files manually, after you have copied the files from the CD to the hard disk (for example, right-click in Windows Explorer, select Properties and disable write protection).
Last update on 19.03.2020 by iRFP Support.